Basic oxygen furnace
The decarburisation is conducted in the converter process. The most
common type of converter process if the basic oxygen furnace - also
known as the Linz-Donawitz (LD) converter. In this process, the
oxidising gas mixture is injected via supersonic top lance.
- A thermodynamic-kinetic simulation tool for
the BOF process. The model is based on solution of complex reaction equilibria with the help of
Partiotioning of Gibbs Energy (PGE) routine. The model employs the
Unified Interaction Parameter (UIP) formalism and Modified
Quaasichemical Model (MQM) for describing the non-ideality of metal and
slag species, respectively.In its current development stage the model accounts
for the reactions between oxygen and carbon, manganese and silicon
dissolved in the metal bath. Owing to the Gibbs energy minimisation
routine, the model is capable of predicting the formation of solid
compounds during the treatment.
- B. Mitas, V.-V. Visuri, and J. Schenk, “Mathematical Modeling of the Ejected Droplet Size Distribution in the Vicinity of a Gas-Liquid Impingement Zone,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, forthcoming
- T. Haas, A. Ringel, V.-V. Visuri, M. Eickhoff, and H. Pfeifer, “Direct Measurement of the Direction, Size and Velocity of Droplets Generated by Top-blowing,” Steel Research International, vol. 90, no. 9, 2019. 1900177.
- A. Kruskopf and V.-V. Visuri, "A Gibbs Energy Minimization Approach for Modeling of Chemical Reactions in a Basic Oxygen Furnace", Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B: Process Metallurgy and Materials Processing Science, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 3281–3300, 2017.
- M. Prokkola, "Development of steel alloying calculation
model", Master's thesis, University of Oulu, 2016.
- S. Niemetmaa, "Improving yield and steel cleanliness by
the tapping stage", Master's thesis, University of Oulu, 2015.