A major form of pedagogical activity is the instruction of
Doctoral, Licentiate, Master's, and Bachelor's theses in Process Metallurgy. The
theses cover a broad range of topics ranging from ironmaking via
meltshop to hot rolling. Alongside research, I have assisted in courses
Process Metallurgy and Industrial Engineering at University of
Instruction of theses
Vuolio, "Improvement of hot metal desulphurisation", in progress
- E. Ramasetti, “CFD modelling of ladle treatments", in progress
- J. Kunelius, "Agglomeration of charge in submerged arc furnace", in progress
- J. Paso, "Reactivity of coke in molten ferrochrome slag", 2018.
- J. Kaisto, "The effect of CRC slag MgO content on the
penetration of slag into refractory lining", 2018.
- T. Veijola, "Improving the control of electric
arc furnace by combining optical emissions with process data", 2018.
- M. Isotalo, "Optimisation of sheet rolling", 2018.
- T. Palovaara, “Physical Modelling of Gas Injection in a
- P. Lehtonen, “An Experimental Study on
Desulfurization of Hot Metal with Lime-based Reagents“, 2017.
- T. Vuolio, "Improvement potential of primary hot metal
- J. Luomanen, "Application of on-line casting simulator for
control of stainless steel", 2017.
- V. Kivelä, "The use of AOD process models in the
development of decarburization", 2016.
- M. Prokkola, "Development of steel alloying calculation
- H. Pesonen, "Determination of the content of silicon in
ferrochrome by an electrochemical measurement", 2016.
- V. Kattilakoski, "Alternative methods for replacement of
boron compounds in
stabilization of secondary metallurgy slags", 2015.
- S. Niemetmaa, "Improving yield and steel cleanliness by
the tapping stage", 2015.
- E. Isohookana, "A Physical Modelling Study of an AOD
- K. Pääskylä, "Experimental validation of a CAS-OB model",
- A. Harju, in
- A.-M. Heikka, "Measurement of melt temperature at
ferrochrome works", 2016.
- A. Alamehtä, "Heat losses in a pilot-scale electric arc
Other pedagogical activities
- Member of the doctoral thesis follow-up group: H. Pauna,
"On-line slag composition analysis for electric arc furnaces''.
- Teaching assistant, Process Simulation in Extractive
Haas, "Physical Modelling of the Effect of Slag and Top-Blowing on
Mixing in the AOD Process", 4 month internship at University of Oulu,
- Teacher tutor for Bachelor's degree students (16 persons),
assistant, Systematic Improvement of Production Processes (Department
of Industrial Engineering and Management), 2011–2013.
- Teaching assistant, Laboratory exercises of metallurgy,