Electric arc furnace
We are currently carrying out research to develop a mathematical model for the electric arc furnace. The model is developed in collaboration with international research institutes and steelmakers, and is intented for online use.
- Mathematical modelling of the EAF process has been studied extensively at RWTH Aachen University by further developing the approach by Logar et al.
- A mathematical model for the online prediction and control of the EAF process in both stainless steelmaking and carbon steelmaking is in progress.
- S. Jawahery, V.-V. Visuri, S. O. Wasbø, A. Hammervold, N. Hyttinen, and M. Schlautmann, “Thermophysical Model of Electric Arc Furnace for
Online Optimization and Control,” Metals, vol. 11, no. 10, 2021. 1587
- V.-V. Visuri, M. Aula, A. Ringel, and T. Fabritius, “Towards dynamic modeling
of the EAF process,” Proceedings of the 12th European Electric Steelmaking
Conference, Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, Sheffield, United
Kingdom, pp. 351–359, 2021.
- T. Hay, V.-V.
Visuri, M. Aula, and T. Echterhof, “A Review of Mathematical
Process Models for the Electric Arc Furnace Process,” Steel Research International, vol. 92, no. 3, article 2000395, 2021.
- T. Hay, T. Echterhof, and V.-V.
Visuri, “Development of an Electric Arc Furnace
Simulator Based on a Comprehensive Dynamic Process Model,” Processes,
vol. 7, no. 11, 2019. 852
- T. Veijola, M. Aula, N. Hyttinen, V.-V.
Visuri, M. Jokinen, and T. Fabritius,
“Modifying the EAF voltage tap profile for lower electrode tip consumption
and increased energy efficiency,” Proceedings of the 4th European
Steel Technology and Application Days, Düsseldorf, Germany, Stahlinstitut
- R. Jussila, ”Modelling of gas-phase reactions in the freeboard of an EAF”, Master´s thesis, University of Oulu, 2021.
- L. Hekkala, "Mathematical Modelling of Metal-Slag Reactions in the Electric Arc Furnace Process (in Finnish)", Master´s thesis, University of Oulu, 2021.
- A. Ringel, ”Online modelling of electric arc furnace”, Master´s thesis, RWTH Aachen University, 2020.