Gas stirring in a ladle is of one the basic processes of
a steelmaking meltshop. It serves to homogenise the composition and
temperature of the metal bath. Furthermore, it serves to remove
inclusions from the metal bath. CFD
modelling of steelmaking ladles is a part of the doctoral thesis
project of E. Ramasetti. His work is concerned on improving the
efficiency of alloying in ladle metallurgy.
- An Eulerian volume of fluid model was set up to model open eye formation in a 1:5 scale physical model of a 150 ton ladle. The
physical model was set up on the basis of dynamic, kinematic and
geometric similarity. The predicted open eye area was found to be in close agreement with the observed open eye area.
- An Eulerian volume of fluid model was set up to model open eye formation in a 150 ton ladle. The predicted open eye area agreed well with the open eye area measured using an IR camera.
- N. Alia, M. Pylvänäinen, V.-V. Visuri,
John, and S. Ollila, "Vibrations of a
ladle with two eccentric nozzles and multiple sensors", Journal of Iron and Steel Research International,
vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1031–1040, 2019
- E. K. Ramasetti, V.-V. Visuri, P. Sulasalmi, T. Fabritius, J. Savolainen, M. Li, and L. Shao: Numerical Modelling of the Influence of Argon Flow Rate
and Slag Layer Height on Open-Eye Formation in a 150 Ton Steelmaking
Ladle. Metals, vol. 9, no. 9, 2019. 1048.
- E. K. Ramasetti, V.-V. Visuri,
P. Sulasalmi, T. Palovaara, A. K. Gupta, and T. Fabritius, “Physical
and CFD Modelling of the Effect of Top Layer Properties on the
Formation of Open-eye in Gas-stirred Ladles with Single and Dual-plugs,” Steel Research International, vol. 90, no. 80, 2019. 1900088
- E. K. Ramasetti, V.-V.
P. Sulasalmi, R.
Mattila, and T. Fabritius, "Modelling of the Effect of the Gas Flow
Rate on the Fluid Flow and Open-Eye Formation in a Water Model of a
Steelmaking Ladle", Steel
Research International, vol. 90, no. 2, article 1800365, 2019.
- T. Palovaara, V.-V.
Visuri, and T. Fabritius, "Physical modelling of gas
injection in a ladle", Proceedings
of the 7th International Congress on Science and Technology of
Steelmaking, Associazione Italiana di Metallurgia, Venice,
Italy, no. 55, 2018.
- E. Ramasetti, “Modelling of Open-eye Formation and Mixing Phenomena
in a Gas-stirred Ladle for Different Operating Parameters", Doctoral thesis, Doctoral thesis, University of Oulu, 2019
- T. Palovaara, “Physical Modelling of Gas Injection in a
Ladle”, Master's thesis, 2017.